This morning I woke up and it was dark and cold outside. And all I could think of was good reasons to call in a sick day. But as I lay there it hit me. I can totally turn this gloomy day upside down!
So here are some of my suggestions on how to cheer yourself up and make your day a little bit more rad.
1. Think of 3 things you are looking forward to. It might be something as simple as a cup of tea.
I doesn’t have to be something huge or magnificent – this morning I got excited because the weather was cooler, because then I can wear tights to work and don’t have to shave my legs!
Just start to try and think of things and you might find you can’t stop, and you will instantly feel more optimistic about your day.
2. Wear your favourite clothes. Do you have a favourite shirt/skirt/pants/bag/hat – favourite anything? Wear it! Putting a little bit of extra effort into your outfit can sometimes make a big difference. Especially if you really really don’t feel like it. And besides, on the off chance that someone compliments you on your totally rad bag/hat/skirt or shirt you are likely to pep up even more.
(If its raining and you have a pair of gumboots then stop being such a grown up – put them on and stomp in some puddles!)
3. Try complimenting someone else. Someone at work has extra bouncy hair today? Let them know how fab it is. It doesn’t have to be appearance based – Try this “I really valued your input in that meeting yesterday” or even just “you are doing a great job”. Letting other people know that we appreciate them makes them makes everyone feel good.
4. You tube. The internet is filled with hilarious and heart-warming videos. My personal fave is to look at other peoples wedding dances… that’s not weird is it?
Whatever… Get on it. Bulldogs jumping on trampolines is also fantastic.
5. Sing. Sing along to the radio, sing a song in your head, just sing. Having a super catchy upbeat song in your head can be really energising. Try this one.
Singing a conversation can also be hilarious! You need to get someone else on board or they will just think you are strange. This is so silly that its impossible not to giggle.
Sometimes I sing to my dog and he turns his head and looks at me like WTF is she doing? And then he gets excited because he thinks I’m an excellent singer. Im sure he would say that if he could anyway…
Lastly. YOU need to make the decision. If you wake up in the morning and say to yourself “today is going to suck balls” then it most likely will.
If you wake up and decide that you are going to smash your day in the face with your amazing-ness then I reckon you will do alright.
How do you brighten your gloomy days?