So you started off with grand plans, you are off the sweet stuff and you are going gun-hoe. This is the your time to make the change. You start off strong with a nice healthy breaky, pack some carrot sticks for snacks and venture into your day with the best of intentions. And then it happens, the afternoon craving hits. And it’s a doozey.
There is a box of chocolates in the kitchen and before you know it you have eaten half the box and are trying to crawl under your desk with eater’s remorse and a sickly feeling in your stomach.
Sound familiar? I thought so… I have been there my friends. Many many times…
I am a huge believer that if we are in tune with our bodies then our cravings are actually super helpful messages from our insides about what we may be needing more of. For example, we often crave chocolate when we are low on magnesium… BUT often our insides get confused by the amounts of gunk we load in and we get warped messages…
Sugar is one of the biggest jerks around craving wise. Once we cut the sweet stuff our cravings are likely to go bat shit crazy and make it very very difficult (but not impossible) for us to resist. That voice in your head suddenly visits with ‘helpful’ suggestions to “just have a little bit, you have been SO GOOD all day long, you deserve it”
Honestly though, you deserve so much more! Your body deserves to be nourished with good quality food and even though it might be difficult in the short term your body will thank you for it later!
I’ve put together a little list of some of the ways I cope with nasty sugar cravings in the hopes that they might just be useful for you too xx
- Steer clear of sweet foods in the mornings. This includes fruit and carbs. Avoid anything that gives you a taste of sweets and anything that is going to raise your blood sugar. Basically we want to try and avoid waking up the sweet tooth that wants more and more. Don’t be fooled by savoury foods that pretend to be healthy here either! Breads and cereals can be loaded with hidden sugars and high carb foods can spike our blood sugar levels leading to a crash later in the day.Instead, why not try having veggies and some good fats like eggs or avo to keep you going.
- Cups of herbal tea! Check out your local health food store and explore the incredible tea range. Brewing and sitting down with a cup of herbal tea can be a perfect distraction for a nasty craving. Teas with berries or lemon are my favourites for this because they have a tart flavour that takes the edge of a craving, without launching your blood sugar levels ski high.
- Berries! Berries are a low sugar and high satisfaction treat. I like to keep blueberries in my freezer for emergencies as a delicious snack. Frozen blueberries are the new lollies!
- Know that you are worth so much more than a quick chocolate fix. Your body is worth good quality nourishing foods and future you will thank you for making nourishing choices. What is 5 seconds of satisfaction going to give you in the long run? If you are anything like me then the sugar hangover the bad mood that follow just aren’t worth it.
- Forgive yourself when you eat something you ‘shouldn’t’. So you ate the chocolate bar instead of the carrot sticks. It’s not the end of the world! Forgive yourself and move on.
Have you quit sugar and have a killer tip for avoiding sugar cravings? I would LOVE to add it to my list. As someone who’s bod finds it difficult to metabolize sugar I can never have too many ways to avoid it!